If you feel pain and stiffness in your body or have trouble moving around, you might have arthritis. Most kinds of arthritis cause pain and swelling in your joints. Joints are places where two bones meet, such as your elbow or knee. Over time, a swollen joint can become severely damaged. Some kinds of arthritis can also cause problems in your organs, such as your eyes or skin.
Types of arthritis include
- Osteoarthritis is the most common type of arthritis. It's often related to aging or to an injury.
- Autoimmune arthritis happens when your body's immune system attacks healthy cells in your body by mistake. Rheumatoid arthritis is the most common form of this kind of arthritis.
- Juvenile arthritis is a type of arthritis that happens in children.
- Infectious arthritis is an infection that has spread from another part of the body to the joint.
- Psoriatic arthritis affects people with psoriasis.
- Gout is a painful type of arthritis that happens when too much uric acid builds up in the body. It often starts in the big toe.
NIH: National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases
Arthritis FDA Approved Drugs
- Relief of signs and symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis and to decrease risk of developing upper gastrointestinal ulcers in patients who are taking ibuprofen for those indications.
- Use of otezla (apremilast) for inhibiting pde4.
- Use of otezla (apremilast) for the treatment of psoriasis.
- Use of otezla (apremilast) for the treatment of psoriatic arthritis.
- Combination use of topical diclofenac on the knee and administration of an oral nsaid..
- Use of topical diclofenac for treating pain.
- Use of topical diclofenac on a joint for treating osteoarthritis.
- Use of topical diclofenac on the knee and a second topical agent selected from sunscreen and insect repellant.
- Use of topical diclofenac on the knee and a second topical prescription medication on the same knee.
- Use of topical diclofenac sodium for treating pain.
- Treatment of diseases or conditions by the use of a delayed release 1, 2, or 5 mg prednisone tablet.
- Treatment of diseases or conditions by the use of a delayed-release 1,2, or 5mg prednisone tablet.
- Treatment of pulmonary, gastrointestinal and/or rheumatological diseases or conditions by use of delayed release formulations of 1mg or 2mg prednisone.
- Treatment of rheumatoid arthritis by delayed release formulation of 1mg or 2mg of prednisone.
- Treatment of rheumatologic, allergic, pulmonary, gastrointestinal, dermatologic diseases or conditions by the use of a delayed release 5mg prednisone tablet.
- Method of treating an autoimmune disease selected from autoimmune polyarthritis and multiple sclerosis but not treating psoriatic arthritis.
- Method of treating multiple sclerosis.
- Relief of signs and symptoms of arthritis and risk-reduction of nsaid-associated gastric ulcer.
- Risk-reduction of nsaid gastric ulcer in patients requiring chronic nsaid treatment.
- Risk-reduction of nsaid-associated gastric ulcer in patients requiring nsaid treatment.
- Risk-reduction of nsaid-associated gastric ulcer.
- Risk-reduction of nsaid-associated gastric ulcers in patients also taking low dose aspirin.
- Treatment of rheumatoid arthritis.
- Treatment of rheumatoid arthritis.
Home Remedies for Arthritis
Rosemary essential oil is used to relieve arthritic pain. Increase mental focus and uplift spirit.
Felter's Materia Medica on Arthritis
...s than usual, in acute articular rheumatism with but little fever. These cases resembled gonorrheal arthritis and were accompanied by a leucorrheal discharge, but were not gonococcic. In most cases th......m when the patient is known to have occasional gouty attacks. We have seen it do good in rheumatoid arthritis; a condition much more prevalent in this country than genuine gout, a disease rarely encou...1
The leaves of Gaultheria procumbens, Linné (Nat. Ord. Ericaceae). Damp woods and sandy soils of eastern third of the United States. Common... / ...vides a good painrelieving application for acute articular and chronic rheumatism and in gonorrheal arthritis. If used very strong the skin may subsequently exfoliate. Applied to denuded surfaces it i... / ...of infants. Gaultheria is an agent of special value as a flavoring agent and preservative for water-dispensed medicines in the summer season. Fo1
Menthol. A secondary alcohol obtained from the oil of Mentha piperita, Linné, or from other oils of mints. It should be kept in well-stoppered... / ... carbuncles, and the surface pains of sciatica. The pain of local and superficial neuralgias and of arthritis, simple, rheumatic, or gonorrheal, may be relieved by painting upon the affected surface a... / ...is sometimes of value in hiccough. It should not be used in large doses internally because of the profound nervous disturbances it may occasion.1
Rectified Oil of Turpentine, Rectified Turpentine Oil. Description.A thin colorless liquid corresponding to the properties described under Oleum... / ...d other inflammations, as in pleurisy, pneumonia, bronchitis, laryngitis, pharyngitis, peritonitis, arthritis, and other congestive and inflammatory disorders; and to alleviate pain in sciatica, myalg...1
Veratrine, Veratria. A mixture of alkaloids obtained from the seeds of Schoenocaulon officinale, Asa Gray (Sabadilla officinarum, Brandt; Asagrea... / ... application, and then rarely, in superficial functional neuralgia, myalgia, herpes zoster, chronic arthritis, acute gout, and other painful local inflammations. It is less effective than aconitine, b...1