You may have heard of anabolic steroids, which can have harmful effects. But there's another type of steroid - sometimes called a corticosteroid - that treats a variety of problems. These steroids are similar to hormones that your adrenal glands make to fight stress associated with illnesses and injuries. They reduce inflammation and affect the immune system.
You may need to take corticosteroids to treat
- Autoimmune diseases such as lupus and multiple sclerosis
- Skin conditions such as eczema and rashes
- Some kinds of cancer
Steroids are strong medicines, and they can have side effects, including weakened bones and cataracts. Because of this, you usually take them for as short a time as possible.
Cortan FDA Approved Drugs
Mylan Pharms IncDec 4, 1985
Sun Pharm IndsDec 4, 1985
Vintage PharmsJul 12, 2002
Watson LabsApproved Prior To Jan 1, 1982
West-ward Pharms IntApproved Prior To Jan 1, 1982
Actavis Labs Fl IncApr 25, 2017
Hikma PharmsJan 8, 2004
Mutual PharmDec 4, 1985
- Treatment of diseases or conditions by the use of a delayed release 1, 2, or 5 mg prednisone tablet.
- Treatment of diseases or conditions by the use of a delayed-release 1,2, or 5mg prednisone tablet.
- Treatment of pulmonary, gastrointestinal and/or rheumatological diseases or conditions by use of delayed release formulations of 1mg or 2mg prednisone.
- Treatment of rheumatoid arthritis by delayed release formulation of 1mg or 2mg of prednisone.
- Treatment of rheumatologic, allergic, pulmonary, gastrointestinal, dermatologic diseases or conditions by the use of a delayed release 5mg prednisone tablet.